Sunday 27 May 2012

Great hairy willow herb or grass vetchling?


In bloom now by a canal near you, a delicate specimen of pink wildflower. With some minimal research I pondered if these wildflowers are great hairy willow herbs or maybe  grass vetchling? I am quite likely to be wrong and await correction from any passing botanists...  Spotted on the Shropshire canal.

Update 27 May: I think Deb (Ginnels Gates and Ghosts, a York Daily photo) is right when she suggests these are in fact Red Campion.

7 comments:

  1. No idea what it is, but it does look nice!

    ReplyDelete
  2. They're very pretty. I thought at first it was one of the campions but the petals are the wrong shape.

    ReplyDelete
  3. wow you know a lot of flowers, thanks for teaching me about the name of this gorgeous flower.I like a lot the pink light color, it's beautiful indeed!
    Hugs and a nice week ahead,
    Léia

    ReplyDelete
  4. If it has 5 petals (each almost divided in two) my guess would be Red Campion as they are in flower just now.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Many thanks for this joy for the sense of sight !

    Please have a good new week ahead.

    ReplyDelete
  6. There are pinks I like and pinks I don't like. This wildflower is pretty, especially against that fresh green.

    ReplyDelete

Ratings and Recommendations by outbrain