Monday 21 May 2012

Monday Murals: Catwoman of Stevenson Square?


This is rather a mischievious looking character loitering amongst the street art at Stevenson Square, and it appears to cast the shadow of a cat. It replaced the "Purple with Rage" artwork I featured a week ago- see link (but has since been replaced as well!): http://mancunianwave.blogspot.co.uk/2012/05/monday-murals-purple-with-rage.html

It's an art collective’s revolving exhibition which utilises existing walls in the centre of the square. Every three months the blocks are reworked to unveil a new piece of artwork for the city. Artists at work: http://outhousemcr.tumblr.com

I am not alone in thinking that Stevenson Square should be pedestrianised, so that the cafes, bars and shops which surround all sides of it could benefit from becoming a cleaner and greener space. The ever changing public art would form its centre and it could be a great square for sitting and relaxing. Some trees should be added as well. At the moment the through traffic and buses obscuring and choking the square don't do it any favours and you're loathe to linger...  


Linked to Monday Murals at the Oakland Daily Photo blog.

17 comments:

  1. wow this mural is very creative, I think a special touch of colors can bring good energies for the street, it's wonderful!
    Léia

    ReplyDelete
  2. Strange but very imaginative.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, what to say? I like the theme (woman with cat shadow) - even if I don't grasp what that might mean - and I like the colors and the paint style. But I find her expression just a little disconcerting. I'd not like to sit and have her watch me drink my coffee (imagining a future terrace cafe on a pedestrianized street...) :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great mural . The artist must have put a lot of work in it. Like it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. she looks a little too alien like to be comfortable around. but no fear, she will slink off in a short while, as cats are wont to do.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I agree with Violet - a little creepy looking, but interesting, nonetheless! Is it the same person repainting each time?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Different artists but part of the same collective.

      Delete
  7. This is really great Chrissy.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love this mural, great piece. Appreciate your desire to see the square turn pedestrian only. One can only hope that the process starts with something as simple as an art movement.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Re-painting it all the time is a great idea, though with this one I don't think they should have waited a week!

    ReplyDelete
  10. 'Behind every successful woman is a cat' Can't remember who said it first but here is a visual representation maybe!

    ReplyDelete
  11. In my opinion, this is indeed a fine piece of art.

    Please have a good Tuesday.

    ReplyDelete
  12. This is a bizarre but compelling composition. I imagine people spend a fair amount of time puzzling over it. I wonder if the collective members draw straws for who gets to paint next? It would certainly make me go frequently to Stevenson Square to see what's new. Good luck with getting the Square to go pedestrian. It sounds like a great idea. Thanks for participating in this week's Monday Mural.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I like this a lot - much more than the one it has replaced - I must try and get to Stevenson Square sometime but then there's a few other places I ought to get to as well so this will certainly have changed by the time I do.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes it has already changed, watch this space next Monday for its replacement! Let me know if you fancy a coffee at Stevenson Square sometime Gerald?

      Delete
  14. Just having a browse through some of your older posts while I plan what I'd like to see when we finally get to Manchester. I really like this! (But I realise it will have something different by the time we get there)

    ReplyDelete

Ratings and Recommendations by outbrain