Wednesday 19 September 2012

ABC Wednesday: "J" is for Junk on Dale Street


Here we are at "J" day and I was toying with the idea of featuring two Mancheser giants (or is that jiants?) not yet featured here on Mancunian Wave - the Jodrell Bank Observatory or John Rylands Library.

But I'll save those for another time and go for Junk, a cool place, voted best independent shop in Manchester. It is truly wonderful and inspiring to find somewhere that truly embraces a sustainable ethos and is example to all retailers everywhere.

I love their description of their being "Industrial Hippies in a concrete jungle" who  "apply green ethics to our retail manifesto and infuse enjoyment to the consumer experience."

They opened in 2005 and their shop "has been lovingly furnished entirely from reusable materials (first discarded then reclaimed) given new life in a consciously sustainable environment."

What do they sell? Sustainable fashion made in Manchester is their strapline and they stock a range of interesting clothes and accessories with a vintage twist so get along to 2 Dale Street or visit them at www.junkshopuk.com .

Linked to ABC Wednesday .

15 comments:

  1. Very interesting place, I think I would like to go in and see what they offer! I like vintage stuffs!
    :)
    Wonderful picture!
    Léia

    ReplyDelete
  2. For a moment I thought the woman behind the sign was someone carrying a sandwich-board. For J I went out looking for a hairdressers called Jungfrau only to find it closed and the sign now taken down - but in the light of events yesterday I've not posted any J this week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Understandable Gerald - I was unsure about a post today. Awful events on your side of the city. RIP those poor policewomen.

      Delete
  3. I've been a believer in sustainable fashion for years, although my wife says it's just me not wanting to dump old jumpers and t-shirts in the recycling!

    ReplyDelete
  4. ah the line between recycling and junk is occasionally nebulous!

    ROG, ABC Wednesday team

    ReplyDelete
  5. looks like a cool shop...love the vintage feel of the photo!

    ReplyDelete
  6. A pretty junk shop!

    Juice in Jars
    Your comment always brings me joy, so leave me one when you can, thanks.

    Rose, ABC Wednesday Team

    ReplyDelete
  7. Calling by from ABC Wednesday, interesting junk and rather different to mine. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm a vintage kinda girl so I know I'd like it.
    Ann

    ReplyDelete
  9. Personally, the name alone would give me second thoughts about even going in the place. Sounds like a Sally Ann store.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'd love to take a look inside this shop. My interest is piqued by sustainable fashion!

    ReplyDelete
  11. 'Sustainable fashion made in Manchester'... fantastic.

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a great idea! Cool photograph, Crissy.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Looks like a fun place to go in for a rummage around!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wonderful ! May time and life please treat this enterprise kind.

    Please have a good Thursday.

    ReplyDelete

Ratings and Recommendations by outbrain